Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Supernatural



I have not enjoyed this season of Supernatural.

There, I said it.

Now don't get me wrong. I love Supernatural as a whole. Before this season, Supernatural was consistently one of my favorite shows on television. I've adored every season before this. Season 5 was my favorite of the series. I'll always watch the show and I am rooting for a 7th season. This season though... there's just so much wrong with it. I'm just going to tackle this with major points. That seems the easiest way.

The Main Storyline: Basically, it's nonexistent, or it changes so much that I can't keep up. First it was Purgatory, then the war in heaven, then Soulless Sam, then Samuel and the Alphas, then Purgatory again, and now this Mother of All character. It's just too much. The writers need to commit to one or two of these and stick with it. This whole "change the goal of the whole season every episode" thing is not working for me. And from what I've heard, it's not working for a lot of people.

Forced Emotion: Now this one might just be me, but I feel like the writers are trying SO hard to make us care about what's happening with Ben and Lisa and I just don't. I love Dean Winchester. Anyone who knows me knows that I completely adore him. I get that he spent a year living with Ben and Lisa. I get that it's supposed to be a big, emotional problem for him. I don't care about that at all though. I don't care about how it affects Dean. I don't care about Ben and Lisa. I know I should. I know the writers want me to. I wish I did. I'm sure it would make this season more enjoyable. I just don't. Any time they're on screen I find myself wishing for a shot back to Sam. I always care about Sam.

Characters Being Dropped: There are several prime examples of this in season 6. Characters with so much potential were killed without an afterthought. The most obvious of these, Samuel. Samuel was a big deal. At least, we were lead to think that earlier in the season. Now he just gets killed and that's that?! Samuel storyline completely over. No resolution, no explanation. He's just gone. I don't get it. Another dropped character... Crowley. I really, really don't understand why we couldn't get some kind of resolution here. We get all this Purgatory buildup and then... Dead. Story over. Also, Crowley was a fun character. He was all kinds of interesting. It would have been nice to still see him occasionally.

Complete and Utter Lack of Castiel: I am biased here. I love Castiel. I'm a huge fan of his character. I feel like there's a lot going on with him and we just haven't gotten to see it. I miss Castiel. Season 5 must have spoiled me because now, every episode, I'm constantly awaiting Castiel's appearance. I think he adds to any episode he's in and I, mostly for selfish reasons, want to see more of him!

So those are my main problems with this season. There are more, but I don't want to be all critical. There have been some wonderful standalone episodes. (Ahem, Meta!) I'm really hoping that the writers can pull this season together towards the end. It's been done on many shows before, and Supernatural hasn't failed me yet, as far as finales go. I'll be the happiest to be proven wrong. I genuinely hope all the hundreds of little plots and dropped characters can be pulled together into one stunning finale. Maybe they really can.

Supernatural comes on Friday night at 9/8c. Despite all my criticizing, I still love the show. I would still recommend the show. Tough love, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment